Sunday 12 March 2017

A Week at Seasalter Pt1

6th March

I decided I would have a week just birding at Seasalter and keeping an eye on the waxwings just outside my patch boundary. So first thing was to look for the waxwings that seem to be spending a lot of time near the Jet Garage at the bottom of Borstal Hill and just around the corner in Joy Lane there were six feeding on a berry bush. 


Moving to Seasalter Lane I found cetti's calling plus the usual pigeons, crows, chaffinch and gulls etc. and a stop at Lucerne Drive revealed 17 curlews, c.30 lapwings on the marsh behind. At the seafront there were 6 grey plovers, turnstones, redshanks, brents, 4 lesser black-backed gulls, 4 blackwits plus other common waders. On the plots, 6 teal and 1 gadwall in the dykes plus stonechat, blue/grt tits but a little quiet generally. I walked onto the LNR and studied the 1000 strong brent flock looking for black brant to which I found two. I finished the morning with 49 species.

I returned late pm looking for owls where I saw 2 short-eared owls and 1 barn owl.













No comments: