Sunday 12 March 2017

A Week at Seasalter Pt3

10th

A look over the sea revealed 6 red-throated divers plus I counted 15 ringed plovers on the 'island' before a dog walker flushed everything. I had a look a the brents again and took a few photos before going to Bossenden Wood for a change of scenery finding nuthatches, treecreeper, goldcrests etc. but no goodies although it was nice to meet Phil Smith who was doing the same no doubt.







I decided to go back home via SS. maybe I might get a glimpse of the raven(s). I quickly stopped on the 'rise' as I saw this odd corvid flying across towards the Sportsman. Brilliant view of a hooded crow, it flew towards the YC and landed in sheep fields behind out of sight!

11th

I saw the 20 plus waxwings behind the Jet garage again first thing then I went along to SS. The sea was a flat calm so I did some sea watching from the pumping station and to the east were lots of grebes, two of which looked clearly smaller. I got back in the car and drove to the Ski Club where I had closer views and surprise surprise the two small ones were black-necked grebes, one in breeding plumage the other still in winter guise, a site record I believe. They stayed all morning at least, drifting up to the pumping station then they paddled back east. A black-throated diver was also present along with the 47 grebes.



Another pm visit to watch the owls again, 4 SEOs I think. It was good to see a couple of hares especially after the other week where they suffered under the illegal activities of six hare coursers who I saw carrying at least six dead animals.



12th
Seasalter; stopping at the pumping station I found  the black brant feeding with a few other brents right below the beach.  Most of the waders are disappearing fast now but plenty of turnstones are still about plus the egret made another appearance to one of the tidal pools.




On the plots a male bearded tit, thanks to Geoff who had just seen a few by the concrete bridge, further round a kestrel was perched on a telegraph pole.


I then made a visit to Hampton finding 1 purple sandpiper and a rock pipit.







No comments: